Tuesday 24 August 2010

The Youth of Today

I’m new to this whole blogging thing, so here it goes:


I know living as a teenager in the UK isn’t such an easy venture these days, everyone assumes you’re either:

• A Drug User

• A Smoker

• An alcoholic

• A criminal

• Or, if all else fails, you’re simply pregnant

Now, I’m sure every teenager (except the drug using, smoking, pregnant criminals of course) will agree with me in saying that they hate being seen in this way most of the time. A first class example of this is public transport, only yesterday I got on the bus, and an elderly lady (bless her heart) decides to put her shopping on her seat so I cannot sit there, as I’m sure you can imagine, this made me angry, so I pulled out my knife and killed her.

Even the BBC are in on this stereotype (the impartial broadcaster, who doesn’t take sides in ANYTHING), I sit here flicking through the channels on Sky (yes, I have sky television, call me upper class and we can continue the discussion), and I come across the trash that is “Young, Dumb, and Living off Mum”. For those of you not aware of this broadcasting genius, it is a group of early twenty year olds, with no job who simply live off their parents who provide their little darlings with cigarettes and alcohol in the hope they’ll end up in a high end job in Central London. The programme then gives the little pumpkins more money to spend on cigarettes and alcohol, and in exchange they work in a café for a couple of hours a day, hoping that they’ll grow up and learn something new in the process, I found it hard to watch and not laugh at a particular blond twenty something who struggled to work a coffee machine, damn caffeine these days, can’t it just be simple?! Then, after the STRUGGLE of a day’s work, they come home to the nice house that the license payer has provided for them in our nation’s capital, and settle down to get royally hammered and throw condoms out the window, and then refuse to clear them out of the neighbour’s garden; curse you condoms for not staying in the place you’re told. No fun for you.

As I can’t bear enough of this stereotypical, mocking programme of British youth, I flick over to the ten o’clock news to hear floods affection millions in Pakistan, and then mudslides in China affecting thousands, and suddenly feel a certain disgust for the western comforts that we, the British youth, are accustomed to. For example, in the past twenty minutes, I’ve complained that a burger is too dry, and that there is a lack of ketchup in the cupboard, now as I see a fifteen year old boy going on sixteen screaming of his mother’s death in floodwaters, and he is left to look after his four brothers and sisters, I wolf down my burger appreciating it to its full potential, and perhaps it’s not totally the end of the world if I go without an oversweet condiment. I feel the guilt plunge into my body like a knife and immediately wonder how the rest of the world can live with themselves after seeing the devastating trouble that mother nature has caused elsewhere, and yet I’m sure Mr Cameron, and Mr Obama will be concentrating more on slamming their opposition into the floor and making sure they cling onto power; that’ll show floodwater!

I decide I can’t bear anymore of the devastation on the ten o’clock news and boot up a new web browser to look for a donation website to the floods and landslides, and then realise that I spent the last of my money on topping up my iTunes library (Steve Jobs beats everyone ladies and gentlemen, even flood victims), and swiftly click away from the site to my Facebook page. Ah, Facebook, the joys. Where the youth of today can post where they’re going, what they’re up to, what a resource! I, for one, rarely post a so called “status” because I don’t care about anyone else’s. I apologise if you’re one of those people who goes “Just watched Inception, was awesome lol rofl   :P” because I simply couldn’t care less, I don’t care that you’ve got a new dog or that you’re going to bed or that you had a good holiday. Call me grumpy, and maybe I’m using the thing wrong.

I’m sure by now you’ve realised I see the dark side of things, and are probably considering why I bother writing a blog, the truth is, I get frustrated with the world around us, I get frustrated that people don’t see cultural beauty, or don’t read great works of art. I get frustrated that people instantly call a lesson “boring” and don’t appreciate what they’re being taught and that their only concern is the phone under their desk texting their girlfriend that they “love” (at the age of 15, love is not a reality, it is a mask).

The message is, appreciate what’s around you, and be grateful for what you’ve got. Call me old fashioned, but that’s the way I see the world.