Friday 27 August 2010

Our friends at the Mail

I looked up and down my blog, now just 48 hours old and realised something was missing. It was almost as if there was a black hole in the middle of my blog that needed filling. Then I realised what it was, not one blog thanking the cultural heavyweights that are the daily mail. How can we let a paper so rich with information and philosophy have no mention, no its time to give the daily mail its shot in the limelight. This was recently brought to my attention when I read in the mail: 'Big Brother: a Jordan wannabe, two bisexuals, a minister who believes in UFOs... thank god this is the last ever series'. Yes big brother isn't the most thought provoking of programmes and I had to agree with the Mail on this one, they were clearly very pleased that this was the final series and wished to celebrate that fact by by giving it maximum coverage; filling their paper with profiles of each of the contestants, as well as pages of big brother related news and a special daily mail banner dedicated to the new series. Taking into account it's self confessed hatred of big brother it was giving it a mighty fine send off.

However this recent article gives me a nice little excuse to bring up an old story... swine flu (which left us for a summer break last year and doesn't seem to have returned). Oh it was a scary time, when swine flu was in its prime killing people here there and everywhere.....well only people who were already terminally ill, but it was still terrifying. This was not helped with daily mail headlines such as 'swine flu: now its getting serious' and 'swine flu now the battle to contain it' however the headline 'killer flu is here' takes the biscuit for me. so you can imagine by surprise when I read an article in the mail which said 'after this awful fiasco over swine flu, we should never believe the state scare machine again!' wow, just wow. It is quite remarkable that less than a year before the mail had written that '65,000 could die [from swine flu]'. Yes its awful isn't it this scaremongering culture we live in eh Paul Dacre? At least the mail can rise above it with headlines such as 'how using facebook could raise your risk of cancer' and 'food watchdog warning over peanut butter brand containing cancer-causing fungus' and 'artificial light increases breast cancer risk' and 'big headed babies more prone to cancer'. Oh i could go on and on and on....but I won't, because that would be rather tedious and I feel that I've made my point